Human remains found eleven years after New Zealand mine explosion

The New Zealand Police reported on Wednesday that they captured images of human remains of at least two people eleven years later of the explosion that occurred in November 2010 in a coal mine in the South Island of the oceanic country, which killed and buried 29 workers.

The New Zealand Police reported in a statement that the images of the human remains, which have been reviewed by experts, were captured in an area far from the Pike River site so, given the difficulty of accessing the place, they will not be able to be recovered.

“At the moment we have not been able to identify the remains, but we will consult with forensic experts. Based on our investigation, we believe there were between six and ten men working in that area where the remains were found. “said Superintendent Peter Read in the statement.

The images of the remains were captured as part of a drilling operation, which began last June and will end at the end of the year, to investigate the death of the miners, 23 of them New Zealanders, three British, two Australians and one South African. who were between 17 and 62 years old.

For her part, Anna Osborne, who lost her husband in the explosion, explained to Radio New Zealand that she cannot give details about the images so as “not to jeopardize any trial”, although she acknowledged that they help to “clarify what happened down there. ”.

For now, it is known that the miners would have died from trauma, burns or suffocation after a methane gas explosion that left them buried 2.5 kilometers deep inside a gallery that lacked alternative access.

Five days later they were presumed dead after a second explosion at the site, located in the town of Greymouth, on the South Island, in what was the second largest mining accident in New Zealand history.

Last March, the New Zealand government announced the end of funding to recover the bodies, although police investigations into the explosion continue.