Currently, the use of laptops has become a necessity for many, whether it is to work from home or take classes online. However, many people wonder if leaving the laptop plugged in for long periods of time can damage the battery or other elements. Do you want to know? In the following paragraphs we will tell you.
There is a common belief that keeping this component of the laptop connected to the charger for long periods of time can cause damage and decrease its useful life. However, as battery technology has advanced, both lithium-ion (Li-ion) and lithium-polymer (LiPo) batteries have proven that this is no longer an issue. Although they have differences in their structure, both function in a similar way and are designed to resist overloads and extend their durability.
Does the laptop battery overcharge?
If you own a laptop and always use it plugged in, you may have wondered if this can overcharge the battery. However, according to HardZone experts, it will fail if it reaches 100%. This is because the charger will stop outputting power until the voltage reaches a certain level. After it gets a little discharged, it will cycle back up to max and then stop to avoid any issues.
It’s also important to note that leaving a laptop battery completely discharged for an extended period of time can cause irreparable damage. In fact, the HP brand recommends not allowing it to discharge below 10%. This is because lithium-ion batteries, which are used in most modern laptop computers, are designed not to lose power completely and cannot recover once they have reached this critical state.
When does laptop battery degrade?
Over the years, it is normal for this component to wear out, especially after it has gone through several charge cycles. In general, modern batteries have a useful life of three to five years and can complete between 500 and 1,000 of these before starting to experience performance issues.
According to Lenovo experts, it is safe to leave the laptop plugged in for long periods of time, although keeping the battery at 100% at all times can slightly reduce its useful life. However, it is important to keep in mind that high temperatures can shorten it significantly.
Also, when high temperatures are combined with high voltages, the problem can be further aggravated. In summary, to prolong the useful life of this element, it is advisable to keep the heat as low as possible and not have the 100% battery all the time.