One year in prison suspended for Benzema, for case of sex video


The forward of the selection of France and Real Madrid Karim Benzema He was sentenced on Wednesday, November 24, to a one-year suspended prison sentence and to pay a fine of 75,000 euros ($ 84,000) in a case of a sex tape that rocked French soccer.

Benzema was found guilty of participating in an extortion attempt on Mathieu Valbuena, his partner at Les Bleus, in 2015.

The Versailles court decision is unlikely to affect Benzema’s immediate future in sports. The forward is considered one of the favorites to win the Ballon d’Or on November 29 in Paris after an impressive season with Madrid. The president of the French Football Federation, Noel Le Great, has already said that he could remain in the team even if he was found guilty.

The footballer’s lawyers said they will appeal the decision.

Benzema, who denies having committed any crime, was not present at the trial last month and was also absent from the reading of the verdict. The other four defendants, who were also found guilty, also did not appear Wednesday.

The prosecution asked Benzema for a fine of 75,000 euros, the maximum allowed according to the charge, and a suspended sentence of 10 months in jail.

Benzema was charged with complicity in an extortion attempt for a recording of sexual content that is believed to have been stolen from Valbuena’s cell phone.

Following his preliminary indictment in November 2015, Benzema was sidelined by coach Didier Deschamps and missed the 2016 Euro and the 2018 World Cup that crowned France in Russia.

Deschamps recalled Benzema before the postponed Euro 2020 and, since then, he has been a regular in their line-ups.

Source-www.diariolibre.com