From time to time, WhatsApp developers release updates that include various new features that are generally well received by Android users and iOS. Recently, it has just been revealed that a new feature called usernames (usernames) which, apparently, will allow you to keep your phone number private. What does it consist of exactly? we tell you.
According to Wabetainfo, a specialized WhatsApp portal, Android users who have access to the beta (version 22.214.171.124) have been surprised to discover that they can now choose a “username” for their accounts, something similar to what happens with Facebook, Twitter and other social networks. For example, if your name is José Pérez, you can select a username like “jperez2023”, “joseperez2023” or something similar.
“Since this feature is still in development, it’s too early to understand how usernames work. They can allow users to communicate with companies privately, thus safeguarding their phone numbers. Or perhaps their use is even more broad and allow private communication with any user. Only time will give us more answers,” the outlet said.
At the moment, the WhatsApp Usernames function is in the testing phase, so only some users of the beta version can have access to it. You can wait a few weeks (or months) for you to start testing it, although you also have the option to become a beta tester and thus download the update before your friends. How is it done? Here we teach you.
How to access the WhatsApp beta?
- Enter the Play Store and search for WhatsApp.
- look for the button Become a beta tester and press it.
- In case you can’t find it, go to this link to register.
- After you are accepted, go back to the Play Store.
- Go to WhatsApp and you will see a new update. Download it and you will have installed the beta.
How to create a username in WhatsApp?
If you have already downloaded the trial version of WhatsApp, it is very likely that you will be one of the first to have usernames enabled. To create yours, you just have to follow these simple steps:
- Enter WhatsApp settings.
- Click on your profile photo.
- You will see the new option called Username in WhatsApp.
- Create your user. Remember that it can have letters, numbers and also symbols.